Herndon Historical Society
Mosby Raid (3-17-2013)
Walking Tour Information
Herndon History Articles
First Markers Unveiled
The Mayor Lisa Merkel unveiled the Town of Herndon’s first set of Historic Markers on October 18 at the corner of Station and Pine Streets. The first set of markers commemorate:
. The Big Fire of 1917 (A disastrous fire that wiped out a significant portion of downtown Herndon and prompted the organization of Herndon’s Volunteer Fire Department)
. Oak Grove School (Herndon’s elementary school for African American students during the segregation time period).
. Elwardstone (the home of Herndon’s first Mayor in 1879, Isaiah bready)
. First Church (Herndon’s first church, the former Northern Methodist Episcopal Church at Elden and Center Streets).
. Elden House (the location of the former house that was believed to be the first built in Herndon in the 1700s).
Webmaster: Steve Sensabaugh